Monday, August 4, 2008

Will the rain ever stop?

Recently in the newspapers we have been swamped with stories on weather, since last week the country braced itself for the worst storm in ten years. My folks in Auckland were out of power for about 3 hours and others I know were stuck without power for about 10 hours. The storm down south was not so bad, or maybe I am adjusting to Wellington's climate.

In class we were asked to follow up on any effects from the weather, here I am thinking it wasn't so bad, apart from some heavy rain last night. Behold when I come home there is a slip on my road, the whole road is closed and a house is threatening to fall from it's foundations with residents evuated from the house. It also started to rain at this moment as I interview people affected in the pouring rain soaking from head to toe. I guess I should not underestimate Wellington's weather!

In Wellington papers there is almost guaranteed article on slips in the winter months. This does not exictement me really, but maybe this is because I am not in the property market yet or I have not lived on the side of a cliff all my life like a lot of Wellingtonians.

It seems to me that this year there has been extreme coverage on the weather, don't these slips happen every year and last winter there was a similar storm that caused lots of havoc. But in news terms weather effects all of this therefore it must be one of the most newsworthy items and points of interest

No comments: